Your Health Encyclopedia | see-science.eu

The healthy way of living is not rocket science. On my blog, you'll find out how easily you can take care of your health and beauty. Interested? Join!

Vitamin D – Osteoporosis

Vitamin D – Osteoporosis


Everybody knows that calcium is very important in keeping your bones healthy and avoiding osteoporosis. In fact one of the two most important things that makes up your bones is calcium phosphate. What not everybody knows is that in order for your body to absorb the calcium that you consume, you must have a sufficient amount of vitamin D in your diet as well.

Vitamin D is a vitamin that allows your body to absorb both calcium and phosphorus. Along with that, it helps your body to regulate how much of the calcium stays in your blood stream and how much of it should be deposited in your teeth and bones. On average, your body should have about 1% of it’s calcium in the bloodstream while the other 99% stays in the body’s teeth and bones. Osteoporosis occurs when a larger amount of bone is reabsorbed into your body than produced. This causes your bones to become weaker and thinner. That means that your bones, especially your wrists, hips, and spine, are more likely to fracture, or even break. As you grow older, or if you are a woman going through or that has just gone through menopause, your chances increase.

Vitamin D deficiency, which decreases your calcium absorption, is common among people who are over the age of 50 and it is recommended that the average adult gets at least 200 IU of vitamin D on a daily basis, this includes pregnant women as well, and that when a person reaches the age of 50 they should then double their daily intake. After reaching the age of 70 the intake should be increased to 600 IU of vitamin D daily. For those people who don’t get the recommended amount of vitamin D, they may not be able absorb more than 10% of their calcium intake, and normally they don’t even absorb that much.

If you’re diet is insufficient in vitamin D, it would be a good idea to start taking supplements to help your body out. This will increase your calcium absorption and decrease your chances for osteoporosis. If you already have osteoporosis, it will still help in the health of your bones.

Rate this post